Day 21 – 10 Favorite Foods!
Wow! This is going to be a hard one. I LOVE food! It is my favorite thing and there are a lot of things that I would give up before I would give up food 😉
In my family, like many, food = love. And there is special food for every occasion. One of the perks of having a birthday is being able to choose the meal! As a child that was my mother’s porcupine balls! They are sort of like a cabbage roll without the cabbage, and are served with a sort of Spanish rice.
Food is also my reward to myself. When I’ve had a long day, I pick up takeout for dinner or I buy crab or a really nice steak. At times in my life when I struggled financially and we didn’t have money for the movies or eating out, I could pick up something just a little fancy for dinner once and while. That was our treat!
It would be much easier to talk about the foods I don’t like – melons – No, not even water melon! You have no idea how many times I’ve been asked that. Liver, not a favorite. When I was a kid, I organized a protest at my house. I bribed my brothers to boycott dinner on liver night. I got in a lot of trouble, but my mother never made liver again! Or anything too spicy – I’m about as mid-west wonder bread as they come! Other than that – food? YES!
So here is a list of my top 10
- Dungeness Crab with butter- Need I say more?
- Pad Thai – Lily Market in Portland is the best!
- Oyster Shooters – Don’t know why I love them so much, maybe it’s my love of condiments. I also love shrimp cocktail!
- Roasted root vegetables – especially brussel sprouts. This time of year I just can’t get enough of them.
- Rib-eye steak – rare! Mmmmmmmmmm – oops, got distracted!
- A deep full bodied red wine – see #5 🙂
- Fresh baked bread – warm and ooy gooy out of the oven with butter! I l love me some butter 🙂
- Sushi, especially salmon Sashimi – again condiment – love the wasabi!
- Flavored Black tea – There is nothing like a cup of black tea with milk and sugar! It is the first thing I have when I get to the office each morning – before breakfast – and the last thing I have at night before I go to sleep. The foods that go with tea are pretty awesome too!
- Last but not least – Cheese! I love it on everything! Veggies, pizza, pasta… There is absolutely no chance of me ever being a vegan!
All of this talk of food has made me hungry! I think I’ll go make some dinner!